Hi! I’m Pratyay Mukherjee. Welcome to my academic (and non-academic) webpage! In my native language Bengali my name spells as প্রত্যয় মুখার্জী.
I am working as a Senior Director of Research at Supra Research since June, 2022. I am also a Visiting Scientist at Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata. At Supra, I work on designing smart-contract based decentralized randomness service, about which I gave a talk in the Randomness Summit at Tokyo in March, 2023.
I was a Senior Research Scientist at Swirlds Labs during January, 2022 to June 2022. I was a Research Scientist (and later a Senior Research Scientist) at Visa Research since March, 2017 to January, 2022. I was a Post-doctoral Researcher at EECS, UC Berkeley hosted by Sanjam Garg during Fall 2015-Spring 2017 where I was affiliated with Crypto and Theory research groups. My research encompasses all aspects of Cryptography and Security. Recently I have been mostly focusing on applications of Cryptography in the Payment and Blockchain space. At Supra
In October, 2015 I received my PhD in Computer Science from Aarhus University, Denmark, where I was a PhD Fellow (August, 2012 – August, 2015) supervised by Jesper Buus Nielsen at the Crypto Group led by Ivan Damgård. I spent the final year of my PhD at Northeastern University, Boston visiting Daniel Wichs. I obtained my Master of Technology in Computer Science from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (in 2011) supervised by Abhijit Das and Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Telecom. from Jadavpur University, Kolkata (in 2008).
I have served/am serving in the program committees of the following conferences:
ACM CCS 2023, Indocrypt 2022, Asiacrypt 2022, Eurocrypt 2022, FC 2022, ACNS 2022, Indocrypt 2021, Indocrypt 2020, Indocrypt 2019, SPACE 2019, TCC 2019, PKC 2019, SPACE 2018, TCC 2017, Asiacrypt 2017, ProvSec 2017, Indocrypt 2015.
At Supra Research I (co-) mentored/am mentoring the following intern:
- Sriram Sridhar from UC Berkeley (Summer 2023)
At Swirlds Labs I (co-) mentored the following intern:
- Yinuo Zhang from UC Berkeley (Summer 2022)
At VISA Research I (co-) mentored the following interns:
- Varun Maram from ETH Zurich (Summer 2021)
- Pratik Sarkar from Boston University (Summer 2021)
- James Bartusek from UC Berkeley (Summer 2020)
- Divya Ravi from IISC Bangalore (Spring 2020)
- Fermi Ma from Princeton University (Summer 2019)
- Sikhar Patranabis from IIT Kharagpur (Summer 2019)
- Binyi Chen from UC Santa Barbara (Summer 2018)
- Nicholas Genise from UC San Diego (Summer 2018)
- Kristina Hostáková from Ruhr University Bochum (Summer 2017)
Selected Invited Talks
- Randomness Summit at Tokyo in March, 2023 on Supra DVRF Service [video].
- India Crypto Meet (virtual) in July, 2020 on Reusable Two-Round MPC from DDH [slides]
- Stanford Security Seminar at Stanford Univ (Dec, 2019) on Approximate Trapdoors for Lattices and Smaller Hash-and-Sign Signatures [slides]
- Bay Area Crypto Day at Stanford Univ (May, 2018) on Threshold Authenticated Encryption [slides]
- The SaTC Workshop on Privacy and Security at Univ of Wisconsin, Madison (June, 2016)on Obfuscation from multilinear maps: Vulnerabilities and protections [slides]
- Bay Area Crypto Day at Stanford Univ (May, 2016)
on Obfuscation without Vulnerabilities of Multilinear maps [slides]
- New York Crypto Day at CUNY (Jun, 2014)on Efficient Non-malleable Codes and Key-derivation for Poly-size tampering circuits [slides]
- At Aarhus Univrsity I Ta’ed Security in the Spring, 2014 and Distributed Systems in Spring of 2013.
- While working at ISI, I taught Number Theory in Regional/National Maths Olympiad camp and Discrete Maths in Crypto Internship Program in 2012.
- At IIT Kgp, I TA’ed Algorithms Analysis & Design in Fall of 2010 and Computational Number Theory in the Spring of 2011.
I reviewed papers for Crypto(’15,’16,’17,’18,’19), Eurocrypt(’13,’16,’17,’18,’19,’20), IEEE S&P Oakland (’18), Asiacrypt(’13,’14,’15,’16,’18), TCC(’13,’16-A,’16-B,’18), ICALP(’17), PKC(’14,’15,’16,’17,’18), SCN(’16), Indocrypt(’11,’16), Africacrypt(’14), IWSEC(’13,’14), Inscrypt (’13), IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (’16), IEICE Journal (’16), Design Codes and Cryptography (’16,’18), Journal of Cryptology (’18).